The Best Protein Powder for Children in India for a Complete and Balanced Diet
When it comes to nutrition, parents want their children to have nothing but the best. Today, with the demanding schedules of both parents and children, having a reliable source of nutrition on the go is extremely useful. Protein drinks for kids are the best option as they not only contain the age-appropriate levels of protein but also various other nutrients that keep your child healthy and well-nourished.
What is Protein Shake?
A protein shake is a dietary supplement that provides you with a carefully calculated amount of protein and other nutrients like vitamins and minerals. A kids protein drink is made with easily digestible protein sources that are age-appropriate.
Protein drinks for kids come in the form of a powder that can be mixed with milk or water and consumed immediately. They are an easy source of vital nutrients that your child requires in his or her growing years. Normally, these kids milk powder rich in protein also contain nutrients like vitamins, minerals, calcium, DHA and Omega-3 based on the age of the child.
For active children, especially, a protein shake is a great option to fulfil the additional protein requirement to recover from strenuous physical activity. There are different ways to choose the best protein powder for kids in India based on the protein sources and the ingredients present in the product. This article gives you all the details that you need to make sure that the kids protein drink that you give your child is safe.
Protein Shakes & Powder For Kids
If you are looking for good nutrition drinks for kids, there are several options that you can choose from. Here are three simple tips to keep in mind when you are choosing a protein drink for kids:
- Check the label: A kids protein drink comes with a detailed nutrition table and ingredient list. Make sure that the level of each nutrient is suitable for your child’s age. The daily intake value of each nutrient varies as per the age of the child. Exceeding the limit can also have serious health repercussions. The second step is to check the ingredient list. If you notice too many ingredients with unfamiliar names, it is an indication that the product contains preservatives and unwanted synthetic ingredients that you must avoid.
- Look for allergens: Protein drinks for kids specifically list the allergens present in the product. This usually includes soy, milk, eggs and gluten. If your child is allergic to any of these ingredients, look for an alternative. For children with serious allergies, it is highly recommended to prepare homemade protein drinks for kids that are safe and healthy.
- Understand the sugar source: The placement of sugar in the nutrition chart is important. If it is placed in the middle of the nutrition chart, then the kids protein powder is a better option. You must also look out for ingredients like liquid glucose, maltodextrin and corn starch that are hidden sugars present in the product. A protein shake for kids that makes use of unrefined and natural sugar sources is most suitable.
- Choosing the best kids protein powder: There are mainly three types of kids protein drink available in the market - whey, casein, and soy. However, whey protein for kids is considered to be the safest one and without any side effects. Whey protein for kids is extracted from cow’s milk and is one of the highest sources of vegetarian protein.
Types of Protein Drinks For Kids?
Commercial protein shakes are available in different flavours including strawberry, caramel, vanilla and chocolate protein drinks for kids. They are also segregated based on the age and activity levels of your child. There are two main types of kids protein drinks that are available commercially for children:
- Milk-based protein drinks: These kids milk powder contain a high amount of protein per serving. These shakes are made of Whey protein which is made of milk as their primary protein source and completely safe. Whey protein for kids is the most common milk protein that is found in children’s protein shake. It is derived as part of the cheese-making process and is considered to be highly nutritious.
- Plant-based protein shakes: This type of nutrition drinks for kids is best for kids who are lactose intolerant. They make use of plant-based sources like soy. Today, plant-based protein drinks for kids also come with a good amount of protein in each serving. This is even suitable for homes that follow a vegan diet.
Daily Protein Needs For Kids
Ideally, the protein requirement for a child is calculated based on age and activity level. For example, when you are choosing the best kids protein powder for a 6-year-old, the amount of protein should be between 5-6 g per serving. At this age, children need approximately 19-20g of protein per day. You must fulfil the remaining protein requirement through natural food sources like eggs, meat, paneer, lentils, etc.
- 4-7 years - 20g
- 8-12 years - 35g
- 13+ years - 55g
Best Kids Protein Powder In India
Gritzo Super Milk is the best protein powder for children in india. Gritzo Super Milk comes in three varieties of whey protein for kids according to a child’s age. Super Milk, a nutrition drink for kids not only provides kids with the protein they are missing in their daily diet but also has vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, and much more that will help a child with better growth, strength and immunity.
- With 6g of protein in every serving, this protein shake is ideal for children in this age group.
- Natural whey protein for kids is the primary protein source. It is easily absorbed by the sensitive digestive system of younger children.
- Fulfil the requirements of growing and developing bones with added calcium and vitamin D3.
- Children stay energized and hydrated with this best kids protein powder that contains vitamins, minerals and electrolytes.
- It also contains DHA which helps in the development of the child’s brain and cognition.
- With each serving, you get 10g of pure whey protein for kids that are easy for your child to digest.
- This shake contains 100% daily value of vitamin D3 along with calcium for stronger bones.
- To keep their energy and stamina optimal, the specialized formula contains vital vitamins and minerals.
- This kids milk powder is formulated especially for active kids who engage in sports and athletics.
- To enhance the rate of recovery, this kids protein drink provides 13g in each serving.
- Calcium makes the bones stronger and helps them develop better.
- Vitamin D3 is thrice as effective in enhancing the absorption of calcium in the bones.
- The perfect balance of vitamins and minerals makes it the best kids protein powder and the choice of many parents in India.
Q. Can kids drink protein shakes?
Protein shakes can be consumed by children who are unable to get their daily required protein intake through their regular diet. Protein drinks for kids is ideal for children who are athletic as their protein requirement is higher. Kids protein drink can also be included in your child’s diet if it primarily consists of vegetarian food.
Protein drinks for kids have several benefits for children:
- It provides a single and concentrated source of protein and other nutrients.
- An instant source of protein helps in muscle recovery, especially after strenuous physical activity.
- Protein helps in the development of better quality muscle fibres.
- Your child’s hair, skin and nails become healthier with the necessary amount of protein intake.
Q. At what age can a child have protein shakes?
Protein drinks for kids can be consumed by children who are above 4 years of age. However, if you are able to fulfil the daily required protein intake of your child with natural food sources such as milk, eggs, legumes, meat and dark leafy greens, it is best to wait for your child to be a little older before you include a supplement in his or her diet.
Q. Are meal replacement shakes good for kids?
Kids protein drinks must only be provided as a supplement for kids. Avoid protein drinks for kids that claim to be meal replacements. A protein supplement is only beneficial to your child when it is part of a healthy and balanced diet that contains a rich source of natural foods including fruits, vegetables, whole grains and/or meat.
However, in some cases, when a child develops a chronic health or growth disorder, paediatricians may recommend a meal replacement drink. This is also recommended in cases of chronic digestive issues in children. Only in these cases, a meal replacement shake can be included in your child’s diet.
Q. Are protein shakes good for 12-year-olds?
Protein drinks for kids can be consumed by 12-year-olds who are active and athletic. When a teen or young adult consumes a protein shake, it must be accompanied by necessary physical activity. Even if your child is not an active kids protein drink can help them with the daily protein requirement. It is important to understand that the “more is better” motto does not apply to protein intake. Excessive protein intake can cause issues ranging from mild digestive problems to issues related to the kidneys with prolonged excessive consumption.
Q. How to make kids nutrition drinks at home?
If you prefer to make protein powders for your child at home, here are some tastier yet simple recipes that you can try:
This protein powder contains 12g of protein and 180 calories in every ½ cup.
- Non-fat milk - 3 cups
- Dry oats - 1 cup
- Almonds - 1 cup
- Sugar or jaggery as needed
Blend all the ingredients together and store in an airtight jar. Mix in with milk or other beverages and consume.
Option 2: This protein powder contains 10.5g of protein and 45 calories in each scoop.
Ingredients: ½ cup each of:
- Soya beans
- Pumpkin seeds
- Flax seeds
- Chia seeds
- Milk powder
Dry roast all the ingredients and blend into a fine powder. Mix it with milk or any beverage of your choice to consume.
Option 3: This protein powder contains 11g of protein in each scoop.
- Almonds- ½ cup
- Pistachios- ½ cup
- Cashews- ½ cup
- Nutmeg powder- ½ teaspoon
- Saffron strands- ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric- ½ teaspoon
Directions: Roast the almonds, pistachios and cashews and let them cool. Blend with the rest of the ingredients to make a fine powder and store in an airtight jar.